artist statement

I am not a whore in the traditional sense. I want to give everything for free. I want to give everything. I want to give it to you, even if you do not want it. I need to give this to you,
Now. Because it matters.

My work is silent but loud. I want to gently strip away your skin and touch you underneath. I want to insert a needle, or maybe a thorn from a flower.
How do you feel?
Please tell me.
These dances come to existence from a need to speak, to ask, to participate. The form that they take is the form that offers itself for me to find a way in. I am looking for a way in, into your mind, your body. The work is created in our meeting. It does not exist without you.
I make work to understand the world around me, to make sense of what may have none. I dance to map what otherwise is incomprehensible to me. I am attempting to see the world through a poetics of the body, which is to feel and to be felt.
My work asks what is important. What do we care about? What were the choices that brought us here? They are questions I ask of myself, and I try to lie less every time I answer. I go towards discomfort, because it is a mobilizing force. I place naïveté above cynicism: it does not make me look good but it helps me see what is here. I move in a guise of confusion, of embarrassment and not knowing, because the constant reminder of how little I understand forces me to actually learn.


Tuesday, September 29, 2009

lolli pop art

so i imagined this thing called lolli pop art.
here's the rules for making your own:


eat lollipop.
unwrap the paper stick of the lollipop.
pick a random sentence from your journal and write it on the stick.
name the piece of art after the flavour of the lollipop.

Artificial Mystery Flavour


Artificial Cherry I


Artificial Cherry II



imovie update for CAP:

managed to get over the video camera issues
and have been experimenting with imovie hd.

the idea of skin and touch and the cardboard are coming together
(against all odds)
i want to make something awkward and uncomfortable
and i think it works
the sad thing is that i can't figure out how to layer images on imovie, maybe it is not possible with the version that i have... and cross fades are limited to 12 seconds of length. but i still think i will have something to make people feel uncomfortable to show on thursday.
it feels like it has to be as awkward as i feel around the subject, and around being in this country, and around languaging these issues and doing it in public. so, on one hand i want it to be smooth enough to work, but not smooth enough to swallow - that there is something wrong, something that you as a viewer will want to change.

the idea of clay has changed into dough in my mind, but i haven't figured out how to project the dough on the skin - and it has to be done on the same day because i want my audience to eat the bread that is the touch that is on the skin on the video. and bread has to be eaten fresh. eat me, a sharing of bread and of my body with you.

i also played with garageband to make a satisfyingly off sounding soundtrack.
it is all a draft but it feels good to be doing something, trying and erring and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment